Finding the right life partner isn’t easy, despite the proliferation of online dating apps and other alternatives to traditional dating. Yet there are some fundamental things you should look for when considering if your latest squeeze can become that truly special person in your life.
- Your partner will tell you who they are provided you are willing to listen. So whatever they may tell you about their past life experiences, listen to them. You may learn something unexpected.
- Go on an 8-hour drive together. Sound crazy? There’s no better way to test a friendship or relationship and find out if you are comfortable in somebody’s company.
- Meet the parents. Good parents raise their kids in a way that they know how to behave well. It’s good to have in-laws who will treat you just like they treat their family members.
- It’s better that your desired partner doesn’t smoke or have any other undesirable vices. Even if you yourself have a vice, they may be able to help you change your lifestyle.
- Are you able to talk to each other? With the passage of time, looks, position, and money will lose their importance. So, when you are over the age of 60, the only person who will be there to support is your partner.
- Have at least some things in common. For instance, if you want kids but your partner doesn’t, it can be a dealbreaker. But this matters in other areas as well. Would you be able to cope with political and spiritual differences as you get older?
- Having things in common is great. Having some minor differences between you is just as important. If you are too similar to your partner, you may get bored as time goes by. In life, differences have their own beauty.
- As far as physical compatibility is concerned, know that it is related to intimacy, not sex. With time, the intensity of sexual desires tends to change. On the other hand, the need for intimacy is permanent.
- Avoid people who just want to get married right away. Engagements exist for a reason. Before getting engaged, it’s better that you spend time with your prospective partner for a few months. This will help you know if they are the right type of person for you.
- It’s better that you look for someone who can make you happy. In life, you can deal with a lot of hurdles if you have a good sense of humor.
Take your time, get to know someone, consider the similarities and differences between you, and most of all, be clear in your own mind as to what makes you happy.