The World Health Organization has extended its call for a moratorium on Covid-19 booster doses until at least the end of the year.
The organization had previously urged countries to hold off on booster doses until the end of September.
“There has been little change in the global situation since then, so today I am calling for an extension of the moratorium until at least the end of the year to enable every country to vaccinate at least 40% of its population,” WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a briefing Wednesday.
About 5.5 billion vaccine doses have been administered globally, but 80% have been administered in high or upper-middle income countries, according to the WHO.
“I will not stay silent when the companies and countries that control the global supply of vaccines think the world’s poor should be satisfied with leftovers,” Tedros said.